Causes & Treatment Options
A healthy smile starts with taking care of your teeth and your gums. Protect your teeth against the cause of gum problems with meridol® toothpaste. Its unique dual-active formula is clinically proven to deliver immediate and long-lasting gum protection.
Gum problems is a common oral condition, with an estimated 90% of South Africans experiencing gum health issues at some point (South African Government, 2021). Severe gum problems can ultimately result in tooth loss. Fortunately, there are many treatment options available that can help restore your healthy, beautiful smile.
Understanding gum problems
Gum problems can damage gum tissue and bone structure that anchor your teeth. One of the major causes is poor oral hygiene. When you don’t effectively brush and floss your teeth, a sticky film of germs forms and hardens onto your teeth and gumline. There are other factors that can increase your risks of gum problems, like pregnancy and lifestyle choices such as smoking cigarettes/tobacco.
Swollen, red, tender gums that become sensitive when brushing and flossing are symptoms of gum problems. This sensitivity does not only affect the health of your gums, but the bone that holds your teeth in place. Fortunately, these problems can be treated and managed.
How to Treat and Help Fight against Gum Problems
The first step in choosing the correct treatment is determining how advanced and severe the gum problem is. To do this, your dentist may review your medical history, and conduct an oral examination to check for plaque, tartar, and sensitivity.
The goal of treatment is to thoroughly clean the pockets around teeth and prevent damage to surrounding bone. With good oral care habits and lifestyle changes like quitting cigarette smoking, you can improve the success of your treatment.
Once your dentist has determined the severity of the condition, they will recommend the best treatment option. If the gum problem isn’t advanced, the treatment may involve less invasive, non-surgical procedures such as:
- Scaling: Scaling removes plaque, tartar, and germs from the tooth surface and beneath the gums. After this procedure, your gums will heal and begin to reattach themselves to healthy, clean surface of the teeth.
- Root planning: Smooths the root surfaces, preventing further buildup of tartar and germs. It also helps remove germs that can cause sensitivity and slow down healing or reattachment of the gum to the tooth surfaces.
At-home Protection and Treatment
An important part of your treatment plan is a good oral care routine. This helps to protect against future gum problems while ensuring that your gums and teeth stay healthy after treatment. Use these daily care tips to keep your smile healthy and beautiful.
- Brush your teeth twice a day: meridol® toothpaste helps fight the cause of gum problems. The soothing formula works effectively and acts gently like a balm, to keep your teeth and gums looking clean and healthy. Use this together with a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently clean away food particles, plaque, and germs in the mouth.
- Use a mouthwash: Rinsing your mouth with a mouthwash is a great way to clean those areas that your toothbrush can’t reach. meridol® mouthwash has a clinically proven dual active formula that helps protect against gum problems and dental plaque build-up, and providing long-lasting gum protection.
- Floss once a day: Dental floss or other interdental cleaners help remove debris that can get trapped between your teeth.
- Visit your dentist or dental hygienist regularly: Professional dental cleaning helps remove plaque in places that are harder for a toothbrush or floss to reach.
Remember to take good care of your teeth. Not only does this help with a dazzling smile but it’s a great way to help prevent serious gum health problems. For healthy, strong gums try meridol® and enjoy long-lasting gum protection.